Best Time To Visit The Northern Circuit Route
Though you can visit the Northern Circuit Route to climb Kilimanjaro at any time of the year, still, we suggest going during mid-December a nd March, or mid-June and October. These months are considered the Best Time To Visit Northern Circuit Route because of the optimal weather conditions to trek Kilimanjaro.”
The Northern Circuit Route to ascend Kilimanjaro is the longest as well as the newest of the seven Kilimanjaro Routes. Despite being new to the picture, the route has gained recognition and has become a favorite among climbers around the world. Thanks to amazing scenery, relaxed pace, stunning views, and high success rate, it has become one of the best routes to experience the majestic Kilimanjaro.
But, planning a trip via this route requires careful consideration of the Best Time to Visit Northern Circuit Route. If you want to make the most of your Kilimanjaro Climbing Packages, then choosing the best time becomes all the more essential. Our aim here is to help you choose the best time by making you aware of the different seasons that are prevailing in the mountains.
Kilimanjaro Travel Guide 2023
ROUTES: Machame Route, Lemosho Route, Rongai Route, Northern Circuit Route
IMPORTANT: Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing, Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe, Kilimanjaro Climbing Experience, Kilimanjaro Porters, Kilimanjaro Tried & Tested Treks, Kilimanjaro Routes Comparison
MORE USEFUL TRAVEL TIPS: Best Time To Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, Kilimanjaro Packing List, Training For Kilimanjaro, Kilimanjaro Travel Insurance, Kilimanjaro Faq’s, Kilimanjaro Inspiring Stories, Kilimanjaro Food, Kilimanjaro Altitude Sickness, Kilimanjaro Airport, Kilimanjaro Daypack, Kilimanjaro For Beginners, Kilimanjaro Rescue, Typical Day On Kilimanjaro, Kilimanjaro Fullmoon Climb
Summit Kilimanjaro Safely & Successfully
To ensure a safe and successful Kilimanjaro climb, it's important to choose a reputable tour operator with experienced guides. Contact us today!
Best Time To Visit Northern Circuit Route Facts
Best Time To Visit
- The Best Time To Visit Northern Circuit Route is during the driest times of the year, which are from December to mid-March and from mid-June to October
- Clear Skies, low humidity, and little to no rainfall in the drier months make it easier to navigate the trails. Also, experience some spectacular views all along the route.
- The temperatures are moderate during the dry season and you don’t feel either too hot or too cold. Thus, making it easier to push yourself to the summit.
- The predictable weather around this time will help you plan your trip to Kilimanjaro with greater certainty.
- The peak tourist season on the Northern Circuit Route Kilimanjaro is from June to October. Dry and sunny weather provides ideal hiking conditions.
- The months of June and October coincide with the high season for tourism in Tanzania. Thus, making it the most popular time for visitors to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Prices for tours and accommodations tend to be higher because of the significant number of crowds. So, book Kilimanjaro Climbing Packages well in advance to ensure availability.
- But, trekking the mountain during the peak season has its own set of advantages. You will get to see some best views of the surrounding landscape while the atmosphere on the trails buzzes with excitement and energy.
- The off-peak season on the Northern Circuit Kilimanjaro is from November to May. The weather is generally wet and there can be more rainfall.
- However, this can also be a good time to visit for those who are looking for a more affordable and quieter experience.
- Prices for tours and accommodations tend to be lower during the off-peak season. Crowds on the trails are smaller. This can make for a more peaceful and intimate experience on the trails. Hence, allowing you to take in the stunning natural beauty of the area at your own pace.
- It's important to note that the weather during the off-peak season can be unpredictable, with occasional heavy rainfalls and storms. However, if you're properly equipped with appropriate gear and clothing, you can still enjoy your trek without any worry.
Below is the month-to-month guide for the Best Time To Visit Northern Circuit Route. We have also included the key considerations that should be kept in mind for each month when opting for Northern Circuit Kilimanjaro Climbing Route.
|Month||Best Time to Visit||Good Time to Visit||Considerations|
|January||Excellent||Good||Peak season, higher prices, and crowds|
|February||Excellent||Good||Peak season, higher prices, and crowds|
|March||Good||Fair||The rainy season, lower prices, and fewer crowds, lush scenery|
|April||Good||Fair||The rainy season, lower prices, and fewer crowds, lush scenery|
|May||Good||Fair||The rainy season, lower prices, and fewer crowds, lush scenery|
|June||Excellent||Good||Peak season, dry season, cooler temperatures|
|July||Excellent||Good||Peak season, dry season, cooler temperatures|
|August||Excellent||Good||Peak season, dry season, cooler temperatures|
|September||Excellent||Good||Peak season, dry season, cooler temperatures|
|October||Excellent||Good||Peak season, dry season, hot temperatures|
|November||Good||Fair||The short rainy season, lower prices, and fewer crowds|
|December||Excellent||Good||Peak season, higher prices, and crowds|
NOTE FOR OUR CLIMBERS/HIKERS: Please note that the best time to visit the Northern Circuit Route can vary depending on various factors, such as personal preferences, the type of activities you plan to do, and weather patterns. It’s essential to research and consider all the factors before planning your trip to ensure the best possible experience.
Northern Circuit Route Kilimanjaro Weather Conditions
The weather on the various Kilimanjaro Climbing Routes is more dependent on the altitude and time of the day. The same is the case with the Northern Circuit Route.
The climatic conditions can range from very hot to extremely cold within the same day. But, the temperature variation is not seen much from season to season. The variation of weather with different seasons is explained later in the paragraph!
The base of the mountain experiences an average temperature of about 21 to 27ºC. The summit, Uhuru Peak experiences the night time temperature between -7 to -29 degree Celsius. The extreme variation in temperature and weather conditions is experienced all along the trek when continuing your journey through various Kilimanjaro Climbing Routes.
Key Insight : Like so many other mountains in the world, Kilimanjaro also creates weather patterns that are highly unlikely to predict. So, it is advised that hikers need to be prepared for warm, sunny weather, and rains, winds, cold, and also snow.
Now, let’s talk about the typical weather conditions on Northern Circuit Route based on the different seasons.
The dry season, from December to March and from June to October, observes cooler temperatures and little or no rainfall. The average temperature during this time is around 20-25°C (68-77°F), making it a comfortable temperature for hiking and trekking. The nights, however, can be quite cold, with temperatures dropping to around 5°C (41°F).
In contrast, the wet season, which runs from April to May and November to December, is characterized by warmer temperatures and increased rainfall. Temperatures during the wet season can reach up to 30°C (86°F), and there can be heavy downpours that last for several hours. The trails can become slippery and muddy during this time, making hiking more challenging.
The below table depicts the different seasons of Mount Kilimanjaro and their significance is also highlighted.
|Long Dry Season||June to October||Suitable weather to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. Cool temperatures and rainfall are scarce.|
|Short Dry Season||December to Mid-March||Dry and warm conditions perfect to climb Kilimanjaro|
|Short Wet Season||October and November||Short rains can be quite unpredictable. Not advisable for climbing.|
|Long Wet Season||March to May||Impassable roads and trails are muddy and slippery and wet due to the heavy rains. Not wise to summit the mountain.|
Important Note: The weather on Mount Kilimanjaro can be unpredictable and can change quickly, regardless of the time of year. It's always a good idea to be prepared for all kinds of weather conditions, no matter when you decide to climb the Northern Circuit Route.
Average Temperature, And Rainfall
The average temperatures and rainfall on the Kilimanjaro Northern Circuit Route can vary depending on the time of year. Here are some more details about the average temperatures and rainfall/snowfall on the Northern Circuit Route:
- From January to March, the average temperatures range from 15°C to 18°C (59°F to 64°F).
- From April to May, the average temperatures range from 14°C to 16°C (57°F to 61°F).
- From June to October, the average temperatures range from 17°C to 20°C (63°F to 68°F).
- From November to December, the average temperatures range from 15°C to 18°C (59°F to 64°F).
IMPORTANT TO KNOW : The temperature can drop significantly at night, especially at higher altitudes. It's recommended to bring warm clothing, including a down jacket and a warm sleeping bag.
Average Rainfall And Snowfall
The average rainfall on the Northern Circuit Route can vary depending on the time of year.
- During the dry season, there is little to no rainfall, with average rainfall ranging from 0mm to 50mm.
- There can be significant rainfall during the wet season with average rainfall ranging from 50mm to 200mm.
- It's worth noting that the weather can be unpredictable, and it's essential to be prepared for all types of weather conditions. Bring appropriate clothing and gear to stay comfortable, regardless of the time of year you visit.
- It snows all year around on Mount Kilimanjaro. But snowfall on Kilimanjaro occurs at higher elevations and mainly through November through March.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW : The snowfall is only present at the highest elevations. It is more common during the dry season, particularly in December and January. However, it's rare to have snowfall at lower elevations along the route.
Hiking And Trekking Conditions
- Hiking and trekking on the Northern Circuit Route are generally best during the dry season, which is from June to October. We have already explained above that why this time is considered the Best Time to Visit Northern Circuit Route.
- The drier trails give a stable platform to navigate through Kilimanjaro Climbing Routes. Still, it is important to understand that even during the dry season, there can be some rain at higher elevations. So, it is important to be prepared with appropriate gear, including waterproof clothing and hiking boots.
- As for the length of the trek up Mount Kilimanjaro, the Northern Circuit Route is one of the longest routes, taking around 9 days to complete. However, it's also considered one of the most scenic routes, with less crowded trails and stunning views.
- The longer walk while trekking Kilimanjaro from west to east offers superb acclimatization conditions and thus, a very high summit success rate.
From our clients
AMAZING!! What an adventure. Hiking Kilimanjaro with African Scenic Safaris was an incredible experience. All details were taken care of and the crew was spectacular.
Tourists Crowds And Prices
Despite being a relatively new route, the Northern Circuit Route has gained popularity. The number of crowds and prices they have to pay during their Kilimanjaro Climbing expedition will vary on the time of year they choose to visit.
Now, we know that June to October is the peak season which witnesses a huge surge in accommodation prices. So, if you don’t mind paying higher prices then visit Northern Circuit Route during the peak season.
Climbers or hikers looking for an intimate experience can however choose to visit in other parts of the year, especially off-peak season. But, there is one point to note here is that some accommodations and tours may have limited availability and some even may be closed.
Regardless of the time of year you choose to visit, it's recommended to book tours and accommodations in advance to ensure availability and avoid disappointment. This is especially important during the peak season, when availability may be limited due to high demand.
Looking for a Kilimanjaro adventure? It's time to push yourself to new heights & achieve something truly incredible. What are you waiting for?
Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Time To Visit Northern Circuit Route is during the dry season, which typically runs from late June to October and from January to March. During this time, the weather is generally clear and dry, and the trails are less muddy and slippery. However, this is also peak season, which means the trails can be crowded, and Northern Circuit Route Cost for accommodations and permits may be higher.
If you want to Climb Kilimanjaro then you have to enter through the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate. The park fees are $70 - $100 (per person, per day).
During the dry season, the weather is generally clear and dry with little to no rain. The skies are usually sunny, and temperatures are comfortable during the day but cool at higher elevations.
During the wet season on the Northern Circuit Route, the weather can be unpredictable with frequent rainfall and thunderstorms. The trails can become muddy and slippery, making hiking more challenging. The skies are often cloudy, and temperatures are generally cooler. It's important to be prepared for wet weather and bring appropriate clothing and gear.
Though it’s possible to hike the Northern Circuit Route during the wet season, it’s better to be aware of the conditions and be prepared for the challenges that come with it. The trails can be difficult to navigate and there are higher chances of encountering thunderstorms.
However, hiking during the wet season can be a unique and rewarding experience, as the landscape is lush and green, and there are fewer tourists on the trail. It's important to have appropriate gear and clothing to stay dry and comfortable. It's also recommended to go with an experienced guide and to check the weather forecast before heading out.
Yes, it is generally more expensive to visit the Northern Circuit Route during the peak tourist season. During this time, prices for accommodations, permits, and tours may be higher due to the high demand. It's a good idea to book well in advance to secure availability and avoid price hikes.
The answer is yes. There are typically fewer tourists on the Northern Circuit Route during the off-peak season, which is from April to May and November to mid-December. This is because the weather can be less predictable during this time, and some people may prefer to visit during the dry season to avoid rain and enjoy the sunny weather. But the off-peak season can have its advantages. They are lower prices for accommodations and tours and fewer crowds on the trails. As camps might be closed around this time due to harsh weather conditions, it’s important to check availability before planning Climbing Kilimanjaro.
Ready to take on the challenge of Mount Kilimanjaro?
Don't wait any longer, book your trip now and summit the highest peak in Africa! With experienced guides and proper preparation, you can safely and successfully reach the summit.
Traverse Kilimanjaro With Its Northern Circuit Route During The Best Time
The Best Time to Visit the Northern Circuit Route depends on your preferences and priorities. If you're looking for the best weather for hiking and trekking, then the dry season from January to March and June to October is the ideal time. On the other hand, off-peak seasons are the optimal time for a more tranquil and affordable experience.
But, regardless of the time of the year you visit, it’s essential to take necessary precautions and acclimatize properly. It's also important to book tours and accommodations in advance to ensure availability and avoid disappointment.
We can also book Kilimanjaro Climbing Packages with us at African Scenic Safaris as we ensure that our specially trained professionals are an excellent resource when planning treks to Northern Circuit Route Kilimanjaro.