Is Climbing Kilimanjaro Safe
Reaching the Roof of Africa means successive days of trekking in a wilderness environment at high altitudes, and this inevitably comes with risks. For many of our guests, the climb will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, well outside their comfort zone. We appreciate the trust you place in us when you choose us as your operator and want you to know that we take your safety extremely seriously. Whilst our team will always do their utmost to get you to the top, it will never be at the expense of your safety. Success for us means bringing you down safely!
Our Safety Practices
- All Head Guides are certified Wilderness First Responders(WFR).
- Senior Guides are recruited for their high levels of competence and experience.
- We are invested in comprehensive training and development for staff at all levels.
- Comprehensive pre-climb documentation and guidance are provided for all trekkers.
- Comprehensive briefings and equipment checks are undertaken on every climb.
- Emergency Oxygen is carried on all climbs, for use in the event of serious altitude-related illness.
- Daily health checks on all climbers, including the use of a pulse oximeter.
- We carry comprehensive First Aid Kits compliant with WFR recommendations.
- Our Guides have a cell phone and radio communications with our head office and access to 24-hour emergency assistance.
- Guides operate in accordance with established emergency protocols.
- Guides have tried and tested experience of casualty evacuation and incident management and can determine the safest and fastest descent route from anywhere on the mountain.
- Climbers are registered with Kilimanjaro Search and Rescue and guides can access helicopter evacuation where appropriate, in the event of an emergency.
- Should you need to descend for any reason, our team will be on hand once you are off the mountain, ensuring you receive the best possible service and care.
- Good hygiene plays a significant part in ensuring our trekkers remain healthy throughout their climb. Our cooks follow hygienic food preparation guidelines, washing fruits and vegetables in safe, treated water. All drinking water is treated to ensure it is 100% safe for your consumption. We provide private toilet tents with handwashing facilities and hand sanitizer on all climbs.